The Effectiveness of Mindfulness Training
Living in the age of distractions, many are the times we let the present moments slip away just because we think over our past and future. Most of us dwell too much on distressing memories of the past that they end up controlling our feelings and behaviors. For this reason, it’s important to live in the moment because it is all that we have.
What exactly is mindfulness training?
It is the act of training our minds to focus on the present without judgment intentionally. It helps us to be more aware of our inner and outer goings-on.
Why be mindful?
Research has shown that incorporating mindfulness in your life can be beneficial psychologically, physically as well as socially in the following ways:
- It heightens your focus
- It helps you regulated your emotions better
- It increases the gray matter in mind
- It reduces negative emotions
- It improves productivity at work
- It helps you make better decisions
- It improves your relationship with your significant others
How can we be mindful?
While living in the moment might seem easy, it requires time, efforts, and patience to develop it. Here is how to train mindfulness.
- Get a quiet and calm place. It could be anywhere as long as you get some time alone.
- Choose a time limit, usually 10-20 minutes
- Choose a position you can stay comfortable
- Focus on each exhale and inhale
- Let your mind wander without judging the arising thoughts.
- When time is up, come back gradually.
Fitting mindfulness into your lifestyle
The good thing is that mindfulness does not have to be a task. You can still incorporate it into your daily routine effortlessly. Here are daily activities that can still allow you to reconnect with yourself.
- Doing house chores
Training to be mindful is crucial as it helps you view life through a different lens. Nothing is satisfying and peaceful than being in the moment. Bitterness about your past or dwelling too much on the future robs of your happiness. So why don’t you make small but powerful steps to focus more on the present?
If you are looking for Mindfulness Meditation training please visit The Mindfulness Academy of Asia (MAA) is a new subsidiary school of The American School of Bangkok, specializing in the teaching and learning of mindfulness in education.